So if you've seen Transformers, you've seen the new super sweet preview for the untitled J.J. Abrams movie coming out 1-18-08.
I, personally, am obsessed. My inner nerdiness has surfaced once again, as I've been scouring website after website looking for information about this movie (which, by the way, is rather scarce. Abrams has done a good job keeping this hush-hush while stirring up publicity), looking at people's comments on every sort of blog on the matter, watching the trailer over and over... I hear myself saying/writing these things and I know how strange I am, don't worry. I'm aware of my oddities.
(Abrams, if you don't know, is the writer and exec producer for "Lost," "Alias" and "Felicity.")
So here's what I know about this movie:
A lot of people are speculating whether this is a.) a monster movie and b.) what monster/creature it will be. It really doesn't look like it's going to be a remake of Godzilla (there's a 3D Godzilla in production by another company, actually).A lot people seem to think it's going to be the Cthulhu (pronounced Koo-thoo-loo), which is this sci-fi creature fictionalized way back in the day by sci-fi author H.P. Lovecraft. Some people think it's going to be an end of the world, apocalypse type movie. Some people even think it might be a "Lost" movie, or a trailer for the next season of "Lost." (I think this is definitely incorrect because the preview says "In theaters 1-18-08" at the end. I don't think Abrams is trying to be that misleading.)
- Fake names are Cloverfield & Slusho
- The actual title is going to be released Thursday at Comic-Con by Abrams
- The singer from Yellowcard is in the trailer (hahaha) (he's the guy on the right behind the bar in the beginning at the going-away party)
- General plot synopsis: Something or Someone destroys/terrorizes NYC and the video camera of what happened is found in the aftermath, apparently on Coney Island, and the movie is part flashback style. However, it's not going to be all hand-held and Blair Witch "what the hell are we looking at? I'm naseous from all this camera shaking." (Although at first, it was said that it was all handheld, so maybe this is a disputed point).
- The film's budget was only around $30 million, which isn't much for a monster/massive destruction movie
- Some of the cast include Michael Stahl David, Mike Vogel and Lizzy Caplan (aka JANIS IAN FROM MEAN GIRLS. check out her IMDB pictures, she looks crazy different)
- The only official websites are http://www.1-18-08.com/ and http://www.slusho.jp/ (So quick explanation on this one: Slusho is a drink mentioned in Season 2 of Alias, A guy in the trailer for this 1-18-08 movie is wearing a Slusho t-shirt, and it appears the website has vague clues to the movie and as to what the monstery thing might be)
Personally, after having checked out all the info on this (And believe me, I got sucked into this whole thing until God-knows-when in the morning, more than once), I think it's going to be an original movie by Abrams, probably with some monster or creature that he's created, not any kind of remake. And I also think he's sitting at home, chuckling to himself, tapping his fingers together Mr. Burns style, at how people are wildy speculating over his movie until wee hours of the night, dissecting his trailer, reading into his statements and etc.
Whatever the case, I'm so pee my pants excited about this movie. You don't even know.
edit: i forgot to mention that the monster is referred to internally as "the parasite."